As 2018 comes to a close, it’s time for my annual update post. First I’ll go over my goals and accomplishments for the year, and then my plans going forward.
One of my goals for this year was to catch up on my ebook publishing backlog that had built up since my last big push in 2014. Additionally, my first book “A (Wise) Man of Two Faces” was no longer being offered through it’s original publisher and would need to be re-released. All told, I had 5 ebooks to publish in 2018, and I completed them all on-schedule!
Here are the new additions to my ebook family:
All of these are listed in Store page of my website, as well on my Amazon Author page at: https://www.amazon.com/author/deuscain
Secondly, I continued my proofreading and editing work with Vysoko Anime Production this year, and helped them release a new game: Crystal Chameleon! It’s a Sci-Fi Cyberpunk Visual Novel based in a future where telepathic powers are common-place.
Crystal Chameleon is available online in the following stores:
Itch (for Windows) – https://milankazarka.itch.io/crystal-chameleon
Apple App Store (for IOS) – https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/crystal-chameleon-visual-novel/id1440422725?mt=8
And thirdly, I was approached by Z Publishing about submitting work for their Emerging Author series of books. I sent in entries several of their options, and was chosen to be published in their fiction and non-fiction anthologies.
You can purchase these two books from their website, but I have a special referral link provided to me as one of their writers: http://www.zpublishinghouse.com?rfsn=1603840.27060 It would mean a lot to me if you considered picking up a copy using my link.
Finally, it’s time to discuss my plans for 2019 and going forward.
As you may have noticed, I haven’t released much content in the past few years. In fact, my post of writing content released on December 29th of 2016 – nearly two full years ago. Some of it’s due to me taking a break in 2017, some of it’s due to publishing this year, but…
But the reality is: writing doesn’t mean the same thing to me anymore, and publishing content on a regular basis isn’t something I want to do anymore.
I’ve been writing and my website for 9 years now, and actively writing on a schedule for 7 of those years. And I don’t think I’ve missed or been late for a scheduled post since 2011. I’ve also done my own self-publishing of nine books in two formats, mirrored content to backup blogs, performed at open mic nights, wrote and scheduled my own online advertising and social media marketing, and a ran patreon campaign – all on top of writing content.
And while this has been a labor of love, it has not been profitable. In a good year, I make enough selling books to need to pay taxes on them – which excludes me from the free tax preparation services and costs more to file than I earn selling books. I’ve advertised Patreon heavily during periods of the last nine years, but that campaign has never taken off. I’ve poured myself out over and over again trying to make this content and this business model work, and it…just…doesn’t. It doesn’t work for me, for my life, or for my future. It’s turned into a time sink that I beat myself up for no doing more all while the work I am putting in doesn’t pay dividends.
So, it’s time to make some changes around here. What does that mean for me, for us, and for this website.
- First, I will no longer be writing and releasing content to this website. If I work on other projects, I may post about it here so please continue following if you’re interested in what I’ll be working on next.
- Second, I am shutting down Patreon – effective immediately. I don’t feel right asking for money from people on that service if I’m not producing content.
- Third, I’m no longer going to be uploading content to any of my backup blogs or websites (like Tumblr). If you’re not reading there, this won’t affect you.
- Fourth, I will continue to offer my paperbacks, ebooks, and merch to those who are interested. Those links will remain active on this site, Amazon, and Society 6.
- Fifth and finally, I will suspend all my online advertising through social media. I’ll pin a big redirect posts on them for those who are interested, but please come back here for any new announcements.
This hasn’t been an easy decision to make, but it has been a necessary one.
Thank you – all of you – for your support over the years.
Daniel A. Meyer
Leave a Reply